Mientras navegaba por las aguas del sur de Chile, a unos 3.500 kilómetros de Santiago, la tripulación de una pequeña embarcación vio una ballena atrapada en una red de pesca. La marina de Chile llegó al lugar y pudo rescatar a la ballena para que volviera a nadar en libertad. Lee más y mira el […]Read More...
Esta fotogalería en el periódico español El País celebra los 100 años de este parque natural, situado en la región de Aragón, en el noreste de España. Ordesa fue declarado Parque Nacional en 1918. Así, fue el segundo Parque Nacional en España. Cada año, 600.000 personas visitan Ordesa para disfrutar de los colores de sus […]Read More...
This video describes 10 of the most interesting animals living in the Amazon jungle, the largest rainforest in the world. The Amazon rainforest, also known in English as Amazonia or the Amazon Jungle, represents over half of the planet’s remaining rainforests. Learn important facts about each of these beautiful animals who live in the jungle! […]Read More...
Since last August, Washington, D.C., and San Salvador are now sister cities. Mayor Muriel Bowser signed a sister city agreement with San Salvador Mayor Ernesto Muyshondt during a visit to El Salvador. D.C. is home to a large Salvadoran population, including many Salvadoran business owners, families, leaders, and artists. “I am proud that San Salvador […]Read More...
The April Fair is one of Spain’s most international and popular fiestas. For a week every April, more than a thousand “casetas,” or tents, installed in the fairground area become the second home of the city’s inhabitants: a place where people come together to have fun, sing, and dance. Throughout the fair, people wear typical Andalusian dress: the men wear the typical outfit of the farmworker, and the women wear flamenco or gypsy dresses. By day, the fair is filled with horsewomen, riders, and richly festooned carriages.
- Would you like to visit the April Fair in Seville? Why?
- Are these festivities similar or different than the fairs in your town or city? How?
Does your country have a traditional dress, or do you know of any from your family’s culture? What does it look like?Read More...
A typical Mediterranean diet includes lots of vegetables, fruits, beans, grains and grain products. It also contains moderate amounts of fish, white meat, and some dairy produce.
The combination of all these elements brings health benefits, but one of the key aspects is the inclusion of healthy fats. Olive oil is most commonly associated with the Mediterranean diet but healthy fats are also present in nuts, seeds, and oily fish.
- Name some of the health benefits associated with the Mediterranean Diet.
- Spain is one of the main producers of olive oil in the world. What are the main benefits of olive oil?
- Create a list of all elements of a Mediterranean Diet according to the article.
Santillana USA provides links to articles in third party websites for informational/enrichment purposes. However, Santillana USA does not manage these websites or control additional content/ads/links that may be included in third party websites.Read More...
Peru covers 496,225 sq mi of western South America. It borders Ecuador and Colombia to the north, Brazil to the east, Bolivia to the southeast, Chile to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Watch the following video about this fascinating South American country, a land full of contrasts and a country brimming with culture, legend, folklore and nature.
- Watch the video and pay close attention to the images. If you had to find a slogan or tagline for the promotion or Peru, what would it be?
- Write a short paragraph that could go along with the video to present Peru to a foreign visitor.
- Do you like hiking? Why? Would you like to hike in the Peruvian Andes?
An original promotion of tourism in Guatemala…. Guatemala’s tourism board invited 12 of the world’s leading instagrammers to travel around the country and snap what they saw. The Instagram tour — the first of its kind in Central America — brought together leading instagrammers from U.S., Sweden, Latin America and Spain.
- What do you think about this idea to promote a country to young people?
- What is the hash tag used for the road trip, and which places were visited?
- Select your favorite picture from the article and describe it.
With wonderful natural attractions and with wet weather most of the year, Chiapas has become into a true attraction for ecotourism and adventure tourism. Watch this video with astonishing images of extreme sports in this Mexican region.
- How many different sports do you identify from the video? Write a list.
- Which one of those extreme sports would you like to try? Why?
- Describe the Mexican landscapes that appear in the video.
Spain has been chosen again as the location for scenes in Game of Thrones season 7. Three regions of Spain will host Game of Thrones crews during October, November and December from the wind-swept Atlantic beaches of the north to impressive castles and Roman ruins of the west and south. Filming is set to start in Spain from October 2016.
- Do you like Game of Thrones? Why?
- Take a look at the landscapes. Which one is more impressive and why?
- Select one of the pictures and describe it.